How to Construct Railroad Style lines?

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Fri Dec 29 15:17:09 EST 2006

It seems that line styles for railroads (i.e. lines that look like
---|--|--|--|--) are pretty hard to find in the documentation. I did
find one googlit on the subject from 2003
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0302/msg00716.html)
but I can't seem to make it work. The following map file excerpt built
from that suggestion just seems to produce a simple red line. I don't
see how this makes the "tie" lie crossways to the track line. Does
anyone know what I did wrong? Is there a more modern solution?

MAP
  SYMBOL
      NAME 'line'
      TYPE ELLIPSE