problem in compiling 4.8-rc3

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Wed Feb 1 00:20:45 EST 2006

Still problems, then?  hmm.  I used to selectively change the lib.a's
to .la or dylib, because libpng and libXpm don't use libtool (and so
no .la).  Then I simplified it to check the dylib.  I've never had to
touch the .so's in configure.

One thing that helps here is to look at config.log.  Much more info
as to why it failed than the Terminal output.  Sometimes it's
something unrelated to what it's checking for.

That configure line you gave (for linux it looks like) - is that the
same for OS X (except for paths)?  There was one more hack to be able
to use my graphics libs - I tend to focus too much sometimes.  I
build the Xpm library in my graphics libs with X11 libraries
statically, so it doesn't depend on X11 being installed.  If you
don't have X11 installed, configure will fail to locate GD, which
uses Xpm, which has an X11 check hardcoded into configure.  Even with
X11 installed it might fail - wrong copy of X11, or still not finding
X11.  Delete all occurrences of -lX11 in configure.

I know, a lot of hacking because I chose to leave out static
libraries in my packages, and do a couple odd things.  But then,
checking for static libraries could be considered bad form (at least
it's consistent - some configs have a mix of checking for files and
library load tests).

So, see what config.log says, and/or try removing -lX11 from configure.

On Jan 31, 2006, at 10:28 PM, John Cartwright wrote:

> Thanks for your reply and suggestion, William.
>
> I was trying to compile both on the Mac (10.4.4) and Linux (RHEL
> WS3). On
> the  mac, I am using both your graphicslibs and gislibs (thanks!).
> I had
> previously changed the configure script replacing all the *.a to
> *.la and
> all the *.so to  *.dylib as well as commenting out the lib64 checks.
>
> I subsequently changed the *.la references to *.dylib, but that
> didn't seem
> to fix the problem.  Pretty slick regexp for bbedit you provided
> though!
>
> -- john

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro