World File Details

Kyle Mulka mulka at UMICH.EDU
Sun Feb 5 16:56:39 EST 2006

Hi guys!

So, which pieces of free software support the second and third fields of
world files? I've heard that most software just ignores rotation because
it is too complex to implement or something. Will mapserver take a world
file with rotation and actually rotate it?

If any software does actually do this, I guess I would then need to
somehow georeference these rotated images. How would I go about doing
that? I don't want to maintain two images: one for the map, one for the
way I want it unless there is some automated way of keeping these two in
sync.

Another related question: Is it possible to display a map with mapserver
or similar software that is rotated... where north is not up, but some
other direction like pointing to the lower left of your screen?

--
Kyle Mulka
Computer Science in Engineering