ogrtindex and directory structure

Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN David.Hunter at FNF.COM
Fri Feb 17 18:11:28 EST 2006

I need to tile index several layers for 50 states.  If my directory
structure looks like this:

/mapdata

            /AK

            .

            .

            .

            /WY

                        /wy001/Parks.shp, water.shp, etc.

                        .

                        .

                        .

                        /wy045/Parks.shp, water.shp, etc.

Is there any way to create tile index files at the /mapdata/ directory
that point to all the /state/county subdirectories?  The ogrtindex
utility doesn't seem to have the ability to recurse the directory tree.
I could copy all park files into a /mapdata/parks/ directory, I suppose,
and then index all the files in the directory, but that would put
several thousand files into a single directory, which is a bit
unmanageable and ugly.  Anybody else come up with a solution to this
problem?

David S. Hunter
Sr. Software Engineer
Fidelity National Geographic Solutions