UMN Mapserver on mobile devices

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Thu Feb 23 14:54:12 EST 2006

Puneet Kishor wrote:
> Rainer Spittel wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>>   It just came in my mind: I wonder if is might be possible to setup a UMN
>> Mapserver environment on a mobile/handheld device (cellphone, PocketPC
>> etc.)? So the MapServer runs on the PocketPC including core geospatial
>> datasets (contours etc.) and accesses a WMS through the internet connection.
>> May there is a "ms4mob" ? ;-)
>>
>>   Does anyone has experience with that? Is there a documentation available?
>>

> no answer here for your specific question, but -- why would you want to
> run MapServer on a handheld when you could use the browser on your
> handheld to access MapServer installed on a real computer? I mean, that
> is the whole point of running a server, so remote and mobile users (and
> not just those holding mobile devices) can access the data. All you
> would have to do is create a small-screen optimized version of your
> site; fairly easy to do if you are using a scripting environment with
> some kind of templating system.

There are quite a few reasons to do this.  One would be to make the
thing run without a data connection.  We have need to go into tunnels
and underground for example.  Not to mention that it would run quicker.
Doing Red-line markup in the field was another aspect of what we were
interested in doing.  At the time we didn't have as many data capable
phones as we have now, but I still think making the remote device
(PDA/PHONE) run independantly has merit, even with the hardware
capabilities available.

I experimented with an IPAQ a while ago.  I was more interested at the
time in getting a HTTPD service running.  This way the remote device
could also be accessed from other remote devices or back in the office.
The idea being to run everything as a startup daemon as soon as the
thing was turned on.  The Mapping system (in our case) was to be
controlled by a GPS link in automode, where the map was centered
automatically.   The mapping piece was the easy part.  the WebService
was the harder piece.  We also wanted to be able to use the local
WebServer to batch inputting in the field, and sync the remote
WebService with the internal webservice by the users.  At some point
this might even be automatable.

The GPS angle was alos a reason to have the mapping and Web service
running on the remote device.  Our intent was to periodically query the
remote devices Web service for it's current GPS location and allow for
tracking and replay of the GPS trail via a Web Query, even from another
PDA/Phone with the same setup.

Adding in the MapServer Component seemed like it would be possible, but
in our case, the HTTPD aspect was the first order of business.  I even
considered a dedicated hardware device for something like this, but we
just don't have the resources to build something like this ourselve (not
desire mind you, just resources :c).

bobb