How to determine the scale

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Feb 23 15:38:50 EST 2006

ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ramesh Karra
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:26 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] How to determine the scale

Hi,

I have a map file with extent "74.3605 24.2590 79.5400 20.5070". I have
a layer(with data in a shape file) with very few points

75.23478 23.40182
75.78261 21.90126
76.37162 22.90461
77.32890 20.88712

The mapserver shows these points correctly. But it does not have correct
idea about the distance between the points. How do I indicate the
mapserver that these are latitude and longitudes and the distances
should be calculated correctly? Do I need to use scale? or some other
projection?

I really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,
Ramesh