direct transfer of text primitives in input file to output?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Feb 27 16:23:56 EST 2006

Robert Hollingsworth wrote:
> So my question is, am I missing something obvious, or is Mapserver simply
> unwilling to translate text primitives in the input file directly into the
> output without engaging the LABEL mechanism?

Robert,

If you populate the shapeObj->text field directly in your reader, it is
likely not necessary to have the LABELITEM to select the text column.
You pretty much need a class to control rendering though.

Another approach might be to implement your support in OGR, and use the
OGR "auto styling" support in MapServer.  This is used with dgn or mapinfo
files to automatically configure and reconfigure a style object from the
source file as each feature is read.

Let me know if you want more details on this approach.

Best regards,