Raster data experience

Apeksha Bhambhani beproject06 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 28 08:23:42 EST 2006

Hi luca ,

We have developed a web-mapping application . Our mapping application uses Mapserver , Php/Mapscript as the scripitng language and MySql as the database.And this application accepts user clicks and allows the user to edit the map : adding points, etc.
Now for this map , we require a base map - which is a raster layer .
We have tried editing the mapfile as follows:

LAYER
NAME "base"
TYPE raster
DATA "india.tif"
END

But this is of no help. The tiff file resides in the shapefiles directory .There is no world file for this tiff file. Do we have to create one on our own ? How is it possible to create a world file out of a plain image.
We want to include this raster image as our base map. Is this the right way or is there any other way?

Could someone please help us.
Thanks
Apeksha

luca marletta <lucamarle at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
  I've never perform benchmark but I have a bunch of raster, tif format,
each about 7Mb and with tileindex it's pretty quick.
Jpeg is lower in size but due to compression it asks more CPU work for sure

luca

--
luca marletta