expressions problem with Postgis

Mon Jan 9 15:50:19 EST 2006

You'd really have to ellaborate a bit more on the column content to give a complete answer. If you just have Interstates vs. State Routes then:

CLASSITEM 'name'
CLASS
  EXPRESSION /Interstates/
END
CLASS
  # no expression
END

Would work. The first class catches the Interstates and the second, everything else. This would run a good bit faster than what you started with. The proper way to do negation would be:

  EXPRESSION (!('[name]' =~ /Interstates/))

Since you're using PostGIS you may want to use a case statement in postgresql to make this cleaner, where the case statement would return a simple code for each situation. This would allow for simpler MapServer expressions which, again, would be even faster to evaluate.

Steve

>>> Carola Jesch <cjesch at CCT.LSU.EDU> 01/09/06 1:18 PM >>>
Dear All,

I have been running into a problem splitting a postgresql layer into two
classes via MapServer expressions and I am hoping someone of you can help
me.

I have a postgresql table containing roads. There is a column 'name' where
you can see the road's status like 'Interstates' or 'State Routes'. So far
so good. But (there is always a 'but :-) )...
some records are looking like that:
Interstate Route 75, State Route 401

I tried to seperate my classes with some MapServer expression. I succeeded
in getting the Interstates by:

CLASS

  NAME       "Interstates"
  EXPRESSION ("[name]" =~ /Interstate/)

Now I want to seperate the State Routes by filtering all records that DO NOT
contain the substring "Interstates".

CLASS

  NAME       "Interstates"
  EXPRESSION ("[name]" !=~ /Interstate/)

It isn't working :-(. The documentation doesn't tell anything about this
case. Do you have any tip?

Thanks, Carola

  _____