Best way to structure large datasets

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Jan 9 21:48:55 EST 2006

Walter -

It depends on how you define "best".  Are you looking for the best
performance, the smallest storage space, or the easiest to update and
maintain?  The answer is different for all three.

When in doubt, preprocess - unless your goal is ease of maintenance!

If you could fill us in a bit on what your goals are, it would be easier
to give more specific advice.  Thanks!

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Walter Anderson
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 9:07 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Best way to structure large datasets

I have a general question on the best way to structure large datasets.
I am compiling an internal web application that will server GIS data to
a small workgroup (10-20) but the data set covers the entire state of
Texas.  I have a couple of questions for the experts out there.

  1. Specifically the road centerline data is about 1GB in size (1:24k
scale centerlines).  The centerline files are currently stored as one
file per county (254 counties).
I want to use Postgresql to store all of my data but am unsure of the
whether I can use the tiling index method with postgresql or even if it
is needed.
  2. Also I would like to filter the roads system so that at the
statewide level only the Interstates and US Highways are displayed, then
as the user zooms in progressively more information is displayed.
Should / can this be accomplished with a single (tiled) vector file or
should I preprocess the data to generate subsets suitable for each scale
level.

Thanks for any input,

Walter Anderson
Walter Anderson