phpmapscript - query caching?

Chris Matheson chris at CENTRALFRONTENAC.COM
Wed Jan 11 11:07:15 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

I'm using postGIS (v1.04), postgreSQL (v7.4.8) and phpmapscript (from
mapserver 4.4).

I need a bit of help.  I think I am using the wrong approach to this
problem...

I'm creating a map with a report attached using php.  I'm creating a
dynamic layer using postGIS & mapscript using a function like
$layer->set("data", $statement).  Later I run the same statement using
pg_query($connection, $statement) to get the attributes.

Everything works, but, because the query is big, and I'm running it
twice, my script is really slow.  It's got to be a bad way to do it, it
feels wrong, even to me.  Is there a way to avoid running the query
against the db twice?

P.S. - I've tried using the attributes from the mapscript layer object,
but I didn't have much luck and fell back to running it with pg_query.
I want to run some php against the data to sort, filter and format it.

Chris M.