Merging Regions of a shapefile

Brock Anderson banders at REFRACTIONS.NET
Mon Jan 16 14:05:07 EST 2006

Neil,

I tend to use Postgres/PostGIS for this kind of processing.

For example:

Load the data into postgres like this:

    shp2pgsql <loader options here> england.shp england_table | psql

Then dump it out again into several shapefiles. Use an SQL statement to
select the regions to include in each file:

    pgsql2shp <dumper options here> england_table "select * where ..."
    pgsql2shp <dumper options here> england_table "select * where ..."
    pgsql2shp <dumper options here> england_table "select * where ..."

Brock