Cluster/Supercomputer/HPC variants of Mapserver

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Jan 19 11:51:20 EST 2006

You have not really explained your issues in a detail sufficient to
give any practical advice.  As always, analyze the problem for areas
of parallelism.  There is no built-in mechanism for MPI in Mapserver,
but if you wanted to really bust up the code, the obvious place of
inefficiency is the fact that all layers are drawn serially.

A hack to get around that is to bust up your mapping file, into one
layer per map file.  Then give each layer to a different machine.
Then write a new "master" map file that reads from all the children
as WMS layers.  Put that on yet another machine.  Because Mapserver
sends out the WMS requests in parallel you can get all the layers
rendered simultaneously on your farm, and then assembled at the end
on the master.

Paul