Mapserver WCS memory consumption

Thu Jan 19 14:16:21 EST 2006

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> we are having a bit of troubles with the memory Mapserver WCS consumes
> when making e.g. a MrSID file of around 15.000 by 15.000 pixels. The
> memory consumption reaches up to 1.5 Gb.
>
> Are there ways around this, or is this to be expected of generating such
> a big raster?

15.000 x 15.000 = 225.000.000 pixels x 24 bits/pixel = 675.000.000 bytes

if the MrSID uses 16 bits per color then that will double the amount
needed above.

Assume you need this much space to decompress the MrSid into AND you
need space for you mapserver image.

So it is likely that this is just the amount needed, but Frank or Ed
might know more about the internal workings of the raster code.

To my naive eye this does not look unreasonable.

-Steve W.