queryByPoint() on a dynamic layer

Mark Brooks mark_brooks at NCSU.EDU
Fri Jan 20 20:18:27 EST 2006

I'm trying to queryByPoint on a dynamic point layer.  The points in the
layer are added from a mysql database.  When I queryByPoint on this
dynamic layer, the resulting shapeindex and tileindex are both -1, which
is not what is expected.

Here is how I ADD the points to the layer:
$query = mysql_query(" mysql query...  ");
while ($site = mysql_fetch_assoc($query)){
    // this draws the dynamic point
    $mypoint = ms_newPointObj()
    $mypoint -> setXY($site['lon'],$site['lat']);
    $mypoint->draw($map,$layer,$image,0,'name');

    // this adds the feature to the layer so that it
    // can be queried.  No results are found from a query
    // by only drawing it above.
    // Probably not the most efficient and perhaps
    // where I'm going wrong?
    $mypoint_shape = ms_newShapeObj(MS_SHAPE_POINT);
    $mypoint_line = ms_newLineObj();
    $mypoint_line->add($mypoint);
    $mypoint_shape->add($mypoint_line);
    $stations_layer->addFeature($mypoint_shape);
}

Then later in my php script, this is how I query:
// get coordinates to query
$myclick = ms_newPointObj();
$myclick -> setXY($geo_lon,$geo_lat);  // set the click point

// do the query
$layer -> queryByPoint($myclick,MS_MULTIPLE,100);
for ($i=0; $i<$layer->getNumResults(); $i++){
    $result = $layer->getResult($i);
    // output below shows 'shapeindex' and 'tileindex' are both -1
    print_r($result);
}

What am I doing wrong?  If I queryByPoint on any static layer, tileindex
and shapeindex are good values.  But on this dynamic layer, they are
always -1.  Any ideas?

--

   Mark Brooks
   Environmental Meteorologist