New User - What to start with: Unix or Windows

Maggie Ma id_maggie at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 21 15:59:53 EST 2006

Dear all,

  I am a new user of MapServer. I have been using ArcGIS desktop for a  few years. Now I want to do some online mapping. I just start to look  into MapServer. And I need your input on whether I should start with  Unix or Windows MapServer.

  The concern is to do it right/the best from the very beginning. I am  not afraid of learning Linux/Unix. I know some basics. But since I have  always been working with ArcGIS under Windows, I want to make sure that  it worths it to switch. If it wont make much difference then I will  just stay with Windows.

  So shall I go : Windows MapServer + Windows ArcGIS or Linux MapServer + Linux ArcGIS or even Linux MapServer + Windows ArcGIS?

  What's the best way to start?

  Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions and thoughts!

  Maggie