New User - What to start with: Unix or Windows

Maggie Ma id_maggie at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 21 20:03:16 EST 2006

Hello Puneet,

  Thank you very much for your advice.

  The reason why I mentioned ArcGIS is because most of my spatial data,  in the future, will still be generated by ArcGIS. And as I understand,  MapServer is only something that will help me to display the map  online. (I dont have enough knowledge about MapServer at this moment to  be 100% sure about this statement tho :P)

  My current understanding is that I will generate maps and spatial data  using ArcGIS and let MapServer to display them on the web. So I may  work switching between ArcGIS and MapServer a lot. Please correct me if  I am wrong.

  So I want to choose an OS where both ArcGIS and MapServer are installed  and both work efficiently. It'd be a pain to change the platform later  on, I think.

  Any thought?

  Thanks,

  Maggie

Puneet Kishor <punkish at EIDESIS.ORG> wrote:  On Jan 21, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Maggie Ma wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  I am a new user of MapServer. I have been using ArcGIS desktop for a
> few years. Now I want to do some online mapping. I just start to look
> into MapServer. And I need your input on whether I should start with
> Unix or Windows MapServer.
>
>  The concern is to do it right/the best from the very beginning. I am
> not afraid of learning Linux/Unix. I know some basics. But since I
> have always been working with ArcGIS under Windows, I want to make
> sure that it worths it to switch. If it wont make much difference then
> I will just stay with Windows.
>
>  So shall I go : Windows MapServer + Windows ArcGIS or Linux MapServer
> + Linux ArcGIS or even Linux MapServer + Windows ArcGIS?
>
>  What's the best way to start?

Unless you have any reason to switch (a specific tech that is available
on one OS but not on the other; pointy-haired-boss, etc.), stay with
the operating system that you know and are comfortable with. That way
you will not make your life more complicated than it has to be. You
will notice that MapServer runs equally competently on whatever
platform you choose, albeit some aspects of it (SWIG/MapScript) might
be hobbled on Windows. Most Windows folks seem to go with PHP anyway,
and there is a pretty active following of that.

That said, you are mixing some technologies here. Are you planning to
leverage ArcGIS somehow? I am curious as to why you are mentioning
ArcGIS and MapServer in the same sentence.

--
Puneet Kishor