GEOS integration questions

Bob Basques bob.b at GRITECHNOLOGIES.COM
Tue Jan 24 09:53:36 EST 2006

The standard Oracle install (workgroup or better, someone correct me if
I'm wrong) comes with something called "Locator", while not all of the
Spatial Cartridge capabilities are included in it, there are some
Spatial components that work without a full bore Spatial implementation.

You might want to cross reference your list with those capabilites.

do a search on Oracle Spatial vs Oracle Locator for more info.

a blurb I found here:

http://atlis.nl/en/sis/knowledge/oracle-spatial.html

    Oracle Spatial vs. Oracle Locator

Oracle Locator is a standard component of the database. Locator has the
same geographical data structure and index mechanisms as Oracle Spatial,
but lacks some functionalities. Functions and procedures for coordinate
transformation, spatial aggregations and tuning options that are part of
Oracle Spatial are missing in Oracle Locator.

If Oracle database products are used, there are no additional costs for
Oracle Locator. Oracle Spatial has to be purchased as an addition to
Oracle's "enterprise edition" database.

bobb