Preferred client

Jørn Vegard Røsnes jorn at SPACETEC.NO
Tue Jan 24 13:35:05 EST 2006

My comments inline:

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 09:10, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Jørn Vegard Røsnes wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just wanna know what's your preferred WMS (/Mapserver) client?
> >
> > cheers
> > Joern
>
> Hi Joern,
> my preferred WMS/WFS(-T) client is Mapbender - but i am not "all"...
> Maybe better reword your question and say what you need. Or try out the
> list below and report the results back to the corresponding lists.
>
> Mapbender (D-HTML, PHP, JavaScript, SQL, XML)
> http://www.mapbender.org
> The best OGC WMS, WFS/T, WCD, WTS client administration, visualization,
> analysis, tool ever. Includes authentication, authorisation, security
> proxy, and so on. Comes with a large set of Free or Open WMS service
> URLs. (forgive me for boasting, but this is my baby...)

Seems very promising, but I ran into integrations problems with databases
(mySQL: no connection, PostgreSQL: connected but "Edit GUI-elements" is not
working). Not solved so far, put on hold for now.
A lot of German in mailinglist, so it's hard to find info.
Little traffic on mailinglist.

> MapBuilder (D-HTML, JavaScript, XML)
> http://www.MapBuilder.org
> Cool, lightweight WMS and WFS/T capable client interface, high affinity
> to the GeoServer tribe & part of their download package. Very active and
> open development group (makes me green with envy).

Hard to setup and complicated configuration.

> iGeoPortal (D-HTML, JSP, JavaScript, XML)
> http://deegree.sourceforge.net/
> Part of the large self contained architecture deegree, makes heavy use
> of every imaginable OGC standard. One of the other Java tribes besides
> GeoServer and GeoTools.

Not investigated so far.

> ka-map (D-HTML, JavaScript, XML, AJAX)
> http://ka-map.maptools.org/
> Rather cool project by DM Solutions Group, right from the core of the
> MapServer PHP API developer. Maybe this could become the synthesis of
> many years of client development. They are very modest in describing
> what they have done. Seems like they are somewhat reluctant to make
> people understand what they did. Tststs...

No documentation!

> Chameleon (D-HTML, PHP, JavaScript, MapScript)
> http://chameleon.maptools.org/index.phtml
> Somewhat older project with correspondingly large user group. Dev'd by
> DM with focus on MapServer, less OGC.

Seems to be very MapServer oriented.