Projection with Mapserver & PRJ

Matthew Perry perrygeo at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 24 16:10:21 EST 2006

Brian,

Mapserver, as far as I know, doesn't recognize .prj files. You have to
define a PROJECTION for every layer which is not in the same
projeciton as the map.

To translate your .prj file into the appropriate proj string, I've
found http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/ to be a good
resource.

If the projection is fairly common, it also likely that it is the EPSG
database which can be searched online at http://ocean.csl.co.uk/ .. in
this case use the "init=epsg:xxxx" syntax instead of the full proj
definition.

hope this helps a bit,

Matt Perry

--