Change image resolution in mapfile

Norman Vine nhv at CAPE.COM
Wed Jan 25 16:14:32 EST 2006

David Bitner writes:

> All you need to do to spit out the image is to
> ask for how many pixels wide by how many pixels tall you want the
> image, so if you want a 36"x24" poster, you will want to use  300*36 x
> 300*24  as your width and height.  From there it's just monkeying
> around to get the symbols to come out the size you want.

Except that mapserver has a hardwired maximum image size

IIRC this is 2048 x 2048 pixels.
see  map.h  MS_MAXIMAGESIZE_DEFAULT

So you will need to build the image up in tiles then stitch
them together with something like imagemagick

shp2img can be used to do this using something
like this untested pseudo code

pixels_y = DPI * POSTER_Y
pixels_x = DPI * POSTER_X

tiles_y  = pixels_y / TILE_SIZE
tiles_x = pixels_x / TILE_SIZE

map_width = map_max_x - map_min_x
map_height = map_max_y - map_min_y

tile_width = map_width / tiles_x
tile_height = map_height / tiles_y

y = 0
tile_min_y = map_min_y

for y < tiles_y:
   x = 0
   tile_max_y =  tile_min_y + tile_height
   tile_min_x = map_min_x
   for x < tiles_x:
     tile_name = poster_name_ + str(y) + "_" + str(x) + "." + $FORMAT_EXT
     tile_max_x = tile_min_x + tile_width
     system( "shp2img -m MAPFILE -e tile_min_x tile_min_y tile_max_x tile_max_y -o tile_name")
     tile_min_x = tile_max_x
     end
   tile_min_y = tile_max_y
   end