problem in compiling 4.8-rc3

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Sun Jan 29 12:49:42 EST 2006

John, I see that /usr/local/graphicslibs/lib in there.  I take it you
are using my Mac OS X Graphics Libs package as a base? for Mac OS X,
that is.

In that case, MapServer configure checks for many libraries by
looking for the static library (lib*.a), which I don't include in
Graphics Libs.  You must change all lib*.a to .dylib.  Just to be
safe, I do just the ones needed, here is the grep (find & replace) I
use in BBEdit:

grep find: (lib(png|jpeg|gd|proj|pdf|Xpm)).a
replace with: \1.dylib

If it's just coincidence, sorry to bother.  It is odd that it also
happens in RH, maybe that's the coincidence, similar builds? (ie no
static libs)

PS.  I put a 4.8rc3 Tiger build on my site yesterday.

On Jan 29, 2006, at 1:23 AM, John Cartwright wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm having a problem compiling 4.8 that seems to be related to the
> gdFontCacheSetup check:

> configure: checking where libiconv is installed...
> checking for iconv_open in -lc... no
> checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
> checking for iconv_open in -lc... no
> checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... yes
>         using libiconv from system libs.
>         libiconv found. Enabling internationalization (-DUSE_ICONV)
> configure: checking for GD 2.0.16 or higher...
> checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
> configure: checking whether GD needs libiconv...
> checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
> configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.la/libgd.so in
> /usr/local/graphicslibs/lib.  Make sure GD 2.0.16 or higher is
> compiled
> before calling configure. You may also get this error if you didn't
> specify the appropriate location for one of GD's dependencies
> (freetype,
> libpng, libjpeg or libiconv).

> ====
> I'm using the same gd-2.0.33 and configuration line that compiled
> successfully for 4.6.0.
>
> I've been able to replicate the problem on both a RedHat ES3 amd
> Mac OS
> 10.4 system.
>

> Thanks for any help!
>
> -- john

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy