SDE sites

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Jan 30 14:52:20 EST 2006

>For one thing, the kitchen sink mapserv.exe is tiny compared to the ms4w --
>can I assume this is a static link vs. dynamic link issue?

Kind of.  The PHP MapScript bindings are linked against the full .lib
instead of the stub one.  This prevents a swapping in and out of a
libmap.dll.  I'll work with Assefa on building PHP MapScript against
the stub library so we can swap libmap.dlls (of the same version of
course) to mix and match functionality.

This stuff is all hackery though.  I'd much rather see a plugin setup
for things like Oracle and SDE (so if you had the plugin dll, you are
good to go), but finding the time, resources, money to do it has been
difficult.

>To make a long question short (too late?), is there a basic incompatibility
>between PHP Mapscript and ArcSDE that I can or cannot cure by rebuilding
>assorted components?  Should I simply move my proof-of-concept to Python (or
>possibly javascript)?

If you build out everything from scratch yourself (MapServer, PHP
Mapscript, etc), SDE and PHP will work fine together.  I don't think
you can mix and match dlls, etc with pre-built PHP MapScript binaries
to get SDE support at this time.

HTH

Howard