Raster JPEG Input using OFFSITE

Armin Burger armin.burger at GMX.NET
Mon Jan 30 15:07:19 EST 2006

Randy,

with JPEG (and mainly also ECW) you will not completely get rid of the
black borders because, as you mention, their 'black' is not fully black.
But you can get get most parts of the black transparent by applying a
PROCESSING "SCALE..." tag, eg.

   PROCESSING "SCALE_1=3,255"
   PROCESSING "SCALE_2=3,255"
   PROCESSING "SCALE_3=3,255"
   OFFSITE 0 0 0

All pixel values from 0 to 3 will be mapped to 0 and then set
transparent by the OFFSITE tag. It has the slight drawback that some
very dark parts inside the image will also be touched by this and become
transparent. It works quite well though for multispectral images, a bit
less nicely on panchromatic.

Armin