WMS image download

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Wed Jul 5 19:37:39 EDT 2006

Hi,

Still brutal but maybe better way than saving WMS images through a web browser is to feed the WMS request URL to "wget" utility instead of a browser or something, with "-O" switch, if I remember right. And if you have GeoTIFF as outputformat you can use downloaded imagery with almost any GIS software immediately. Not any final solution for your users, though.

-Jukka-

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List on behalf of Ryan Ollerenshaw
Sent: Wed 5.7.2006 22:57
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS image download

Quoting "Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)" <bartvde at xs4all.nl>:

> A way to do this is to associate your WMS with a WCS (Mapserver supports
> both), or you can even use Geotiff as an output format for WMS.

Following your instruction I can across the following that can be added to a
mapefile to add support for WCS:

OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME GEOTIFF
    DRIVER "GDAL/GTiff"
    MIMETYPE "image/tiff"
    IMAGEMODE "BYTE"
    EXTENSION "tif"
END

When I add the above to my mapfile and then request the page through my web
browser a QuickTime frame containing the raster image is opened.  I assume that
I am moving in the right direction although I am still unclear about how to
download this image.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.