Mapserver Compilation CGI Problems

Joost Diepenmaat joost at ZEEKAT.NL
Tue Jul 11 01:53:14 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 06:34:56PM -0700, rappleby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Posting this again as I didn't get any response in my original post.
>
> I have just downloaded and compiled Mapserv. Everything went smoothly.
>
> >From the commandline I can do a ./mapserv -v and get the version number and
> basic mapserv info as normal.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> bash-3.00# ./mapserv
>
> This script can only be used to decode form results and
> should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server.
>
> bash-3.00# ./mapserv -v
> MapServer version 4.8.3 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
> SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR
> INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE DEBUG=MSDEBUG
> ---------------------------------------
>
> I copy it to my cgi-bin directory and when I run it thourgh my web-browser I
> get a whole lot of garble on the screen. The first few lines look like:

> ELF

I'm quite sure that's the actual binary data of an executable. In other
words the program isn't being run as a CGI but served as a normal file.
In my experience, that's usually due to either permissions problems or
an incorrectly configured apache (either ExecCGI or SCRIPTALIAS should
be on).

Joost.

by the way, as this is my first post here: hello everyone :-)