Creating a tileindex for 50000 files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Jul 14 10:01:26 EDT 2006

John Preston wrote:
> I'm trying to use gdaltindex and then shptree to create a tile index
> for 50000 .tif files but when I try to run gdaltindex I get:
>
> gdaltindex data/jamaica/tileindex_res_1.shp res_1/*.tif
> bash: gdaltindex: Argument list too long
>
> I expect that the problem is that the shell is expanding the *.tif
> into one long string to pass to gdaltindex, and this is too long. How
> can I get around this.

John,

On Unix/Linux or Cygwin you should be able to do something like:

   find res_1 -name '*.tif' -print | xargs --max-args=50 gdaltindex \
              data/jamaica/tileindex_res_1.shp

Basically, this is using the find command to collect the list of names
(instead of wildcards which max out on commandline length limits)
and piping the list to xargs which will invoke gdaltindex on up to 50
names at a time.

Good luck,