WFS Problems

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Thu May 4 02:10:50 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

First, the onlineresource should include the mapfile. Second, try to start with a most simple mapfile to see if the system works at all. I suppose something like this is close to the minimum:

MAP
  NAME WFS-KARTTA
  STATUS ON
  EXTENT  2464000.000 6779500.000  2467000.000 6780000.000
  SIZE 1000 800
  UNITS METERS
  SHAPEPATH "d:/ms4w/apps/ms101/data"
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  WEB
    IMAGEPATH "d:/ms4w/apps/ms101/data"
    IMAGEURL "/MS_TMP/"
   METADATA
      "wfs_title"   "JRA test WFS-server"
      "wfs_onlineresource" "http://localhost:8060/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=d:/ms4w/apps/ms101/data/jukkawfs.map&"
      "wfs_srs" "EPSG:2392"
   END
  END
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:2392"
  END

LAYER
  NAME jukka
   METADATA
   "wfs_title"  "Jukan_lohkot"
   "gml_include_items" "all"
   END
  TYPE POLYGON
  DATA jukka.shp
    PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:2393"
    END
  DUMP TRUE
  STATUS DEFAULT
  CLASS
    NAME "jukka"
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
  END
END
END

Then you can start by sending WFS-request from browser, in my case this works:
http://localhost:8060/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=d:/ms4w/apps/ms101/data/jukkawfs.map&SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.0.0&REQUEST=getfeature&TYPENAME=jukka

If you are receiving GML then you have quite a lot working correctly. Your browser may tell you that you are going to download "mapserv.exe", then just save it on a disk with some other name and open it with editor.

Next step is to try some real client, but all of them won't work. One that works for me is Cadcorp SIS map browser, that is a free download. It works in http "GET" mode, "POST" mode does not work. I suppose that the error is in Mapserver, and folks seem to start working on this problem. See recent posts about Mapserver, MapInfo and WMS.

So the URL to use with real clients is like:
http://localhost:8060/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=d:/ms4w/apps/ms101/data/jukkawfs.map&

Regards,

-Jukka-