Problems with connecting to ESRI geodatabase on Linux

Stuart Eve stuarteve at LPARCHAEOLOGY.COM
Thu May 11 07:02:03 EDT 2006

Dear All (especially Frank!)

We are currently trying to connect to an ESRI 9.1 personal geodatabase
from a Suse 10 box.

I cannot connect to it via the mapfile, so have tried to use ogrinfo to
connect to narrow down the problem. I am getting the following error
message when I run 'ogrinfo
/srv/www/htdocs/chersonesos/shapefiles/chers_gis.mdb' :

ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb);DBQ=/srv/www/htdocs/chersonesos/data/shapefiles/chers_gis.mdb,
[unixODBC]Could not find DSN in connect string
ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb);DBQ=/srv/www/htdocs/chersonesos/data/shapefiles/chers_gis.mdb,
[unixODBC]Could not find DSN in connect string
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource
`/srv/www/htdocs/chersonesos/data/shapefiles/chers_gis.mdb' with the
following drivers.
  -> ESRI Shapefile
  -> UK .NTF
  -> SDTS
  -> TIGER
  -> S57
  -> MapInfo File
  -> DGN
  -> VRT
  -> AVCBin
  -> REC
  -> Memory
  -> CSV
  -> GML
  -> ODBC
  -> PGeo
  -> PostgreSQL

I am using mdbtools (v. 5.0) and gdal (v1.3.1) - is it even possible to
connect to geodatabase from unix? (I have only come across people using
FWTools on a windows platform who are doing it).

Thanks for your help

Stuart

--
Stuart Eve