Compression in TIF files: disk space vs. performance

Andreas Neumann neumann at KARTO.BAUG.ETHZ.CH
Sun May 14 13:10:20 EDT 2006

Hello list,

I have a question on compression in tiff files.

I read that for best mapserver performance it is recommended to store
tiff files on the server in uncompressed format. We currently have a
disk space problem and need to serve a large number of raster images. Is
there any compression technique that allows to save diskspace while
maintaining a reasonable or good performance? Or is compression not
recommended at all?

Another question: we need to serve 1bit (b+w) rasterimages that are
delivered as gray/rgb jpegs later because we want to use resampling.
What is the best color depth to store the original images. I noticed
that when keeping them in 1bit color depth one cannot create pyramids
using gdaladdo. Is it better to store them in 1 bit with no pyramids or
in 8bit gray value with pyramids?

Thank you for any help on my questions,

All the best,
Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/