how to speed up MapServer performance?

Zhonghai Wang zhonghaiw at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 15 10:15:49 EDT 2006

Hi there,

for a special purpose I've developed an static version application based on
MapServer CGI, which means I just use pure HTML tages for the GUI, even
without JavaScript code snippets to validate forms.

I have about 20 map layers to display according to different map scale
(ussing the MAXSCALE, SYMBOLSCALE AND LABELMAXSCALE), there are no data
classifications within a layer object, the status of all layers are set as
default.

I've made a test on a standalone MapServer (XP system), every request takes
about 3 second. Obvioursly it's not fast enough for a web application, since
there may be many users requesting the server at the same time if the
application is published on the web.

Is MapServer really so slow? can anybody give me some ideas?should I modify
the mapfiles?

I am wondering whether the following solutions will work:
1. define every layer as a seperate mapfile, and  combine them together by
request
2. turn off the non-displayed layers off on the fly

are these possible to speed up MapServer performance?
Zhonghai
--
Freiestrasse
3097 Liebefeld