OGR failing on Linux with Premature end of script headers

McGraw, Joanne mcgrawj at AGR.GC.CA
Wed May 17 15:52:29 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to load a MAP file that does a JOIN to connect a shapefile with a geolinked dbf.  But, when I try to load the map file in a browser from our Linux server, I get a "Premature end of script headers: mapserv" in the Apache error_log. I've read a bunch of posts to the forum and all seem to suggest that "Premature end of script headers" messages are usually the result of libraries not being loaded properly. How can I learn what library is missing or not properly loading? I don't get any additional message helping to identify this in Apache's error_log.

I've done a little testing and find that just using OGR seems to be the problem. I've created a simple map file with a single layer in it and set the following attributes:

LAYER
    NAME "ecozones"
    DATA "ecozones"

#    CONNECTION "/ms4w_1.4.0/Apache/htdocs/dev1/data/ecozones.shp"
#    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
#    DATA "SELECT * FROM ecozones"

    :
END

In the browser, when I enter the following URL with the above definition, the image appears fine:
http://host/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/server_path/Apache/htdocs/map_nojoin.map&mode=map&layer=ecozones

However, if I comment the 'DATA "ecozones"' line and uncomment the lines referring to OGR, the image displays correctly from a Windows server; so, I'm fairly confident the syntax in the file is fine. But, the same map file (with a different path to the ecozones.shp file obviously) gives the "Premature end of script headers" error.

Any pointers as to how I can identify what is causing the error are greatly appreciated. I'm stuck!

Cheers,
jtm

Joanne T. McGraw
GIS Data Analyst / Analyste des données du SIG
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada / Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
Telephone/Téléphone: 613 759-6103
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613 759-1937
960 Carling Ave, Bldg. 20, Rm. 1136
Ottawa, Ontario