mapserv not following extents?

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu May 18 12:14:50 EDT 2006

ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Kelly Koehn
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:48 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] mapserv not following extents?

I've been working with the USGS Counties and States maps (located at
nationalatlas.gov) and the GIS maps from the NOAA and I've been running
into a stumbling block.  I've been able to get the maps to display but
it seems that the mapserv cgi app only pays attention to one of the
extents.

I'll copy my map file below but for my example use the following line:
    EXTENT          -100.05 37.1 -94.85 37.85

It seems to fit the -100.05 and -94.85 just fine on the map and that
gives me the coordinates I need on the X axis but it never seems to
follow on the Y-axis.  Its like it tries to create something
porportional.  What the end result is a map that is squished from top to
bottom. (see at
http://www.aspiredillusion.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/nexrad/map/nexrad.ma
p&mode=map
)

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a way around it?  Here is
the -v info from mapserv:
MapServer version 4.9 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE DEBUG=MSDEBUG

Thanks
Kelly Koehn

---------

Copy of nexrad.map
---
MAP
        IMAGETYPE       GIF
        SIZE            400 400
        SHAPEPATH       "/nexrad/map"
        TRANSPARENT     ON
        UNITS           DD
        EXTENT          -100.05 37.1 -94.85 37.85
        FONTSET         "font.set"

        LAYER
                NAME    c100000jan2902
                DATA    c100000jan2902