Enabling WMS server functions with Python Mapscript

Myunghwa Hwang mhwang4 at UIUC.EDU
Fri May 19 18:15:08 EDT 2006

Hello!

I developed a web map service by using Python Mapscript.
This application is based on CGI, that is,
basic CGI in Apache executes python script.
I didn't use mod_python.
Till now, I didn't include any tags for metadata in my map file, so now I want to include them.
I looked at how-to doc in MapServer homepage, and got a question.
The doc says for wms_onlineresource I have to use the url of mapserv cgi.
But if I do that, it means that I have to use mapserv cgi for distributing my data
and also use a simple cgi using python for my application, doesn't it?
And this structure seems to be wierd.
I found a python script for providing metadata and it used mod_python.

So if I use mod_python, then don't I need to use mapserv?
Is there any way for WMS by using only python without any changes?

The next question is if I use mod_python, can I improve the performance of my application?
I wonder if other people using python and mapserver prefer mod_python to simple cgi.

Thanks for your answers ^^.

from Myunghwa Hwang