shptree & .qix files

Ben Madin ben at REMOTEINFORMATION.COM.AU
Mon May 22 21:25:38 EDT 2006

G'day all,

I have a very large shapefile, which with various queries to produce
a multilayered map depending on data in a MSSQL database is taking
145 seconds to render a map (using php/mapscript). A simpler (but
still 50MB) shapefile is producing a map in about 2 secs. The time is
all in the $map->draw() statement, so looking around for ways to
speed it up, i realised that it wasn't indexed.

After running shptree on it, and getting a .qix file, it was taking
just as long... aha you say, and yes, you were right, I was still
calling "map.shp"!

So I changed that to just "map", and now it takes 194 seconds?

Needless to say, I changed it back to .shp, back to 145 seconds.

My understanding (from the mapserver site) is that shapefiles are the
default format for mapserver, and that creating an index should speed
them up, not slow them down. have I misinterpreted this, or am I way
over my head. The queries in MSSQL are taking negligible time, the
php script is taking negligible time, this is over a wireless LAN, so
it must be the mapserver engine.

I appreciated Stuart's suggestions for speed, but we have already
given up reprojection, and none of these files have any projection
associated with them as far as I can tell... how can I tell?

cheers

Ben

--

Ben Madin