Routing Solution

Blaise bpicinbono at WORLDONLINE.FR
Thu May 25 18:13:30 EDT 2006

Le Mercredi 24 Mai 2006 02:21, Adam Ratcliffe a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I¹m interested in looking at any routing solutions that integrate with
> MapServer to provide the following features:
>
> - Shortest or quickest route calculation
> - Driving directions
> - Flexible API
> - Good performance
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
> Adam

Hi Adam
I'm nowadays working on this subject, very interesting by the way. Dijskstra's
algorithm is a good solution, but maybe not the only one. It seems that
Camptocamp has got a PostgreSQL module but I've not tryed it :
http://www.camptocamp.com/article138.html
(I don't know if they have an english version for this page).

I've build my own engine with the help of these pages :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra's_algorithm
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Dijkstra's_algorithm
On the last link, you can find some C, ActionScript, Python, PHP and Visual
Basic codes.
I've worked with the PHP code. As it is object oriented, I had to use php5 for
routing calculation, but I have MapServer configured with php4 so I had to do
a maybe not that elegant trick to have the whole stuff synchronized.
It's damned powerfull and gives great results (might take some time to
calculate depending on the size of your network...)

I searched for a while, but didn't find any ready-to-use solution for
MapServer, except maybe the Camptocamp one. I'm afraid you'll have to go
through some development work.
Regards
Blaise