Rotating Symbols

Blaise bpicinbono at WORLDONLINE.FR
Sun May 28 09:44:10 EDT 2006

Stu
I've got symbols rotated :
mapserver 4.8.3,
point shapefile:"rotlabel", dbf with 2 fields : "ID" and "rotation"
field rotation is numeric, 3 digits, no decimal (0->359)
Layer definition in mapfile :
LAYER
  NAME rotlabel
  TYPE POINT
  STATUS ON
  DATA rotlabel
  CLASS
    NAME "rotlabel"
    STYLE
      SYMBOL 'triangle'
      ANGLEITEM "rotation"
      SIZE 15
      COLOR 255 0 255
    END
  END
END

Triangle definition in symbol file (symbols.sym) :
Symbol
Name 'triangle'
Type VECTOR
Filled TRUE
Points
0 1
.5 0
1 1
0 1
END
END

No on-the-fly label drawing, just basic layer display. When updating data in
the "rotation" field of the dbf, triangles are rotating...
One strange thing is with angle 90 and 180 : triangles don't display. 89, 91,
179, 181 are ok, but not 90 and 180. 270 is ok as well.
You should easily custom the triangle symbol into whatever you want (arrow or
else).
Better check that your symbol is displayed for any angle (0->359). There must
be some kind of bug somewhere. Maybe you'll help discovering it.
I hope this is what you were looking for.
Regards
Blaise