New GiS for History site

Ben Loh benpub at INQUIRIUM.NET
Tue Sep 12 16:30:48 EDT 2006

At 1:26 p -0500 9/12/06, P Kishor wrote:
>still not working well. Earlier, I gave up after about
>quick, clicking the zoom button locked me into "Loading...199.207"
>
>Looks nice, if it works... quick. My suggestion would be to work on
>speed quite a bit, especially given you say --

Thanks, Puneet.  I'm curious where you're located.  Are you in
Madison?  We definitely have not optimized our connection yet, but at
least in the midwest US and western US, I've generally been able to
get responses around 3 seconds or less.  On the other hand, we also
occasionally get really long hangs.  I think it's because mapserver
is taking so long to generate the overly complex maps, but this is
our next big challenge.

>"> >>* We're using AJAX to try to minimize bandwidth issues, as many
>>  >>schools have a narrow pipe.
>
>One more thing, I wasn't even sure where to begin once I went to
>gisforhistory.org. After poking around a bit, I gave up, came back to
>your email, and found the direct link to the maps. Make the direct
>link, well, more direct.

Yeah, good point.  The idea with the site is to introduce it to
teachers first via teacher workshops, so they'd have some kind of
overview first.

Thanks again,

Ben

--
b e n  l o h . . . i n q u i r i u m
. design for learning .           mobile  773-220-8889 (primary line)