Estimate number of active/registered MapServer users/developers

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at WESTNET.COM.AU
Fri Apr 13 02:56:35 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 08:37 +0200, Gambin Dejan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am holding a MapServer presentation next week and I would like to know
> an estimate number of active/registered MapServer users/developers, just
> for the information I want to give.
>
> Thanks very much

I don't think anyone has any idea about number of users as it's free.
Using download numbers (I assume they're available?) you may be able to
extrapolate changes in popularity wrt time rather than absolute numbers.
Of course this won't take into account any packaging by distros which
will change the numbers by an unknown amount.  Trying to get even
approximate usage numbers is a black art at best so I'm not sure anyone
even tries to do it.

> regards, dejan
>
> p.s. this is my first MapServer presentation so if someone experienced
> has some additional suggestions on what to mention on such a
> presentation, to make the people more interested in MapServer, I will be
> glad to hear it :-))

Hard to give you ideas as you haven't told us your audience profile.
What interests geospatial people will be different from developers,
managers etc.

Tim Bowden
--
Mapforge Geospatial