Big areas == slow and problematic zoom? (was street level zoom performance)

Rodrigo Del C. Andrade rodrigo.andrade at DIGITRO.COM.BR
Fri Apr 13 09:46:49 EDT 2007

    Hello dear list.

    First of all, thanks immensely for all the tips with the last issue
I presented (streets and its labels drawing performance). This however
brings me to a new issue.
     I created index files (with shptree) for all the layers and tuned
them for maximum speed, however I found out using Debug On that a single
layer was responsible for the 99% of the drawing time: country polygon
layer. The debug log was looking like this when I tried to zoom in close
enough to see neighborhoods (just an example):

     msDrawMap(): Layer 1 (COUNTRY), 189.021s   <<----
     msDrawMap(): Layer 1 (city1-limiters), 0.067s
     msDrawMap(): Layer 4 (city1), 0.041s
     msDrawMap(): Layer 3 (city1_annotation), 0.025s
     msDrawMap(): Layer 1 (city2-limiters), 0.085s
     msDrawMap(): Layer 4 (city2), 0.047s
     msDrawMap(): Layer 3 (city2_annotation), 0.023s

    Removing the offending layer solves all my performance problems, but
I am left with an archipelago instead of a state :D
    We've done some tests:
     - creating a square polygon shape with roughly the size of South
America causes the problem,
     - using a square polygon shape the size of a city does not.

    The country and world shapes we are/were using as a base to drawn
our cities on top came from the ESRI ArcGIS 9 Media kit, so I doubt they
are out of specification (they created the shape file specs anyway,
haven't they?).
    So I guess my question is: does a big area polygon takes longer to
render at higher zoom levels and thats the expected behavior and I must
find a way to turn off these layers when I zoom in too close (risking
having some cities appearing to be islands mid sea), or is there
something wrong with my setup?
    Btw, I am using Java Mapscript 4.10.1 on linux.

     Thanks again for all the support so far, you guys rock.

--

*Rodrigo Del C. Andrade*
/Programador/

*DÍGITRO TECNOLOGIA*
*E-mail:* rodrigo.andrade at digitro.com.br
<mailto:rodrigo.andrade at digitro.com.br>
*Fone:* +55 48 3281-7314 / +55 48 3281-7000
*Fax:* +55 48 3281-7299
*Site:* www.digitro.com <http://www.digitro.com>