Virtual Tables

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Apr 18 21:30:00 EDT 2007

Kevin Flanders wrote:
> I put the full path in….and I got the map to draw.  However, all layers
> draw EXCEPT the points from this virtual table.
>

> I did notice that not all records in the table have x and y
> values…..could that be an issue?

Kevin,

I *think* that the records will the x and/or y fields left NULL
should just result in features with no geometry.  I believe that
MapServer would just ignore these.  But I'm not absolutely sure of
this.

> Also….the x and y values are not lat/long…but rather a state plane
> system.  So too is the entire project, so I am assuming this is alright
> and I don’t need a <LayerSRS> set of tags.

MapServer never uses the coordinate system offered by OGR (or any other
datasource) so you never need LayerSRS for MapServer's use.  If everything
in your map is in the same coordinate system you shouldn't need to declare
the projection at all.  If there is a mix of coordinate systems you would
need to declare them carefully with PROJECTION blocks.  I believe I'm just
confirming your existing understanding.

Best regards,