Simplified state outline data?

Jeff Dege jdege at KORTERRA.COM
Tue Apr 24 18:08:21 EDT 2007

We have an app that needs to generate a map with state outlines, but
needs to keep the total amount of data as small as possible.

Fortunately, we don't need precision, a rough approximation of the
outlines is fine.

Does anyone know of a source of approximate state outline data?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a tool I can use to reduce the number
of points in a geometric feature, while retaining the general outline?
Something that would take a complicated boundary drawn with points every
100 meters and return a simplified boundary drawn with points every 10
kilometers?