Adding namespace support for the MapScript C# interface

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 27 15:40:44 EDT 2007

Folks,

According to the OSGeo affiliation the time has arrived to put the C#
interface classes into the right place from a higher level of the
abstraction. In this regard I'm planning to place the MapScript
classes in a separate namespace so as to harmonize the project with
GDAL/OGR where this change have already been done.

For choosing the proper name I should follow the general .NET
namespace naming guildelines by using CompanyName.TechnologyName as
the root. The names should be PascalCase-d without using underscores.
Acronyms and abbreviations should also be PascalCase-d. As the result
of this change the MapServer/GDAL/OGR classes will reside in the
following namespaces:

OSGeo.MapServer
OSGeo.GDAL
OSGeo.OGR
OSGeo.OSR

I will also change the module name from mapscript to MapScript at the
C# interface since the classes shoul also be Pascal cased. However I
will not alter the names of the remaining classes like mapObj since
these classes come from a common ground of the SWIG bindings and
should behave similarly for the various languages. We will also
continue to maintain one reference document for all of the bindings.

If I get no relevant reason against the additions from the
MapScript.NET community, the corresponding changes will be applied for
the 5.0 release.

Best regards,

Tamas Szekeres