Mapserver & GoogleMaps to build point database

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at GRID.UNEP.CH
Tue Feb 13 06:01:09 EST 2007

Hi,

I am outing myself as being one of those germans traveling with their
camping-car all the time around in Europe. We adore staying overnight
somewhere in the nature, avoiding campgrounds and the like.

Nowadays, it is pretty simple to pinpoint the place where you stay -
a GPS being installed in almost all of the newer camping-cars.

Now, I would like to develop a database, where any person who's
spirit is similar to mine, can access, visualize, download and as
well upload those x- and y-coordinates so that we can share the best-
places-to-stay-overnight or so...

There would be fields essentially for the coordinates, a place
description, photo etc...

Anyway, what is more important is the map interface: Having not too
much time to dedicate, this should be simple to setup and to
maintain. I thought of something like mapserver in conjunction with
googlemaps.

Do you know of any pre-prepared application (in the style of ka-map,
but which uses then googlemaps), where one can then as well easily
add points, which would then be entered into a (postgres/postgis)
database?

Thanks for any hints!

Stef