legend scale dependency issues

percy percyd at PDX.EDU
Tue Feb 13 17:34:27 EST 2007

Hi all,

After a week or two of beating my head on this problem, I've been
digging through bugzilla to see if there is a known bug that was fixed
in the last year or so WRT legends not respecting scale. I can't find it.

So now I am just going to give up and ask the list :-)

We're using MapServer version 4.8.0-rc2
<let the scorn begin now>

The site is http://geospatial.research.pdx.edu/~bjpd/orgeol6/ and we're
almost ready to go live, except for this issue.

When you zoom in on the map, the scale dependencies all work great for
the map, but the legend is always out of whack. I am using php/mapscript
to generate a processlegendtemplate() request. For debugging this issue,
I have also tried just a straight drawlegend() request and I get
similarly odd behavior. The geologic faults, which are set to show up at
a scale of 1:500,000 don't show up in the legend until zoomed in to
around 1:100,000. (though sometimes if I zoom in small increments,
they'll show up sooner...)

I did some testing with other layers that we don't normally show in the
legend and got similarly weird behavior.

If I upgrade to a newer version of mapserver will this problem go away?

THANKS!

--
David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager