How to load Raster Data in PostGIS

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sat Feb 17 17:49:37 EST 2007

KS -

We may be able to suggest alternatives, but only if we know what problem
you are trying to solve.  What are you trying to do, and why do you
think storing rasters in PostGIS is a good solution?  That information
will help us think of other ways to solve your problem.  Thanks!

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of KS
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 2:45 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] How to load Raster Data in PostGIS

Hi,

I am trying to load raster data into PostGIS and then wants to render it
in web browser through mapserver. The porblem is, how to store raster
data in PostGIS/Postgres SQL. There are multiple ideas I am working on
right now

1. Can we store actually raster data direcly in PostgreSQL or PostGIS or
we should strore it in outside of PostGIS and have some sort of
reference to PostGIS with other data.
2. Can we actually use PGCHIP GDAL driver (new implementation of raster
in PostGIS). For reference please visit,
http://simon.benjamin.free.fr/pgchip/ ?
3. Can we use PGRaster SQL Interface to store raster data
(http://postgis.com/support/wiki/index.php?PgRasterSqlInterface). I
tried to do it but it did not work. So just wondering if somebody has
actually used it to store raster data. If so, then how?

If somebody has used some solution to store raster data in PostGIS,
please let me know. If this is not possible at all, then may suggest
some alternative.
Here I want to mention that I have data in the form of ESRI shapefiles
(mostly vector format). I tried to use gdal_rasterize but it gave me
error that "The procedure entry point OGRCleanupALL could not be located
in the dynamic link library gdal13.dll". I tried to fix it and tried to
re-install GDAL as well but I got same message.

Regards,