WMS-SVG: XML Parsing Error: not well-formed -- still future for SVG?

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at GRID.UNEP.CH
Wed Feb 21 07:49:34 EST 2007

Hmmm... strange. Followed the doc ( http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/
howto/svg-howto/view ) and in principal I'd say everything is ok. But
Firefox (both on Win and Mac) do declare to have problems with it:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://gridca.grid.unep.ch/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/www/
geodataportal/htdocs/mod_map/geo_svg.map&mode=map&layers=gdp_capita
Line Number 1, Column 1:�

When I download the file and open it in AI it displays nicely.

And the SVG code seems to be correct...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<svg version="1.1" width="600" height="300" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/
2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">

<!-- START LAYER gdp_capita -->
<path fill="#e6e6e6" d="M 402 91 L 402 91 L 402 91 L 402....

And BTW: where are we with SVG nowadays? I heard that Adobe stopped
working/developing SVG? Is this the end of SVG?

Thanks for any hints.

Stef