WMS/WFS and (yearly) time-dependent data

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at GRID.UNEP.CH
Fri Feb 23 01:47:54 EST 2007

>> I am not (or better: hardly) working with raster data. All vector
>> data. National statistics for the whole world, like population
>> density, gdp, forest cover etc.
>> So, the each one of the 1000 or so (postgres) tables looks like this:
>> id     1970      1971   ....    2006
>> 1        23.1        35.4   ....    45.6
>> 2        12.3        10.9   ....    4.23
>> 249 .....
>> and each id is then linked to another (postgis) table with the
>> country names and the geometry.
>
>  I think in this case the the wms time would not be a use for you.
>  I think one possibility to look at would be to use the  run time
> substitution of Mapserver (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/
> runsub) .  You might be able to achieve that by using variables in
> an sql statement (that is part of the DATA value of your postgis
> layer) and have these variables substituted according to values in
> the request

Just one question: how resp. where do/can/should I specify that
additional parameters, so that the user knows that "year" has to be
added to the parameters' list? And that it shows it in the
GetCapabilitites?