[Fwd: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] symbols in mapfile or symbolset file?]

Kai Behncke kbehncke at IGF.UNI-OSNABRUECK.DE
Thu Jan 11 07:38:56 EST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:28:59 +0100, Dolf Andringa wrote

<dolf.andringa at elcyion.nl>
> Aan: Thy, Kristian <Kristian.Thy at ATKINSGLOBAL.COM>
> Referenties: <CE2BE61DABB9384A934BD4E648DFDA37B7E86D at EXCVS1.rdg.bane.dk>
>
> Ok,thanks. I don't think it is possible to do this with mapscript though
> is it? It would be nice if there was an addSymbol method on the
> mapObj object in mapscript which allows you to add symbols to the
> map declaration. Or am I completely missing something?
>
> Dolf.
Hi Dolf,
normally you need to define symbols by yourself, or you use code that other
user have produced.

One example to define it inside a mapfile:

SCALEBAR
  STATUS embed
  TRANSPARENT off
  INTERVALS 4
  SIZE 200 3
  UNITS kilometers
  COLOR 250 250 250
  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
  BACKGROUNDCOLOR 100 100 100
  STYLE 0
  POSTLABELCACHE true
  LABEL
    COLOR 0 0 90
    #OUTLINECOLOR 200 200 200
    SIZE small
  END
END

# SYMBOLS USED IN PMAPPER
# - 'circle' always necessary (used e.g. for highlight)
# - 'square' used in currecnt map file
# Symbols can also be defined via tag SYMBOLSET (see above)
Symbol
  Name 'circle'
  Type ELLIPSE
  Filled TRUE
  Points
    1 1
  END
END

Symbol
  Name 'square'
  Type VECTOR
  Filled TRUE
  Points
    0 1
    0 0
    1 0
    1 1
    0 1
  END
END

#================== START OF LAYER SECTION =====================#

LAYER
  NAME "jpl_wms_global_mosaic"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS OFF
  CONNECTION

But in my opinion, if you have quite a lot symbols:
Use the symbolfile for it. Its cleaner,
Regards, Kai

Dipl.-Geogr. Dipl.-Umweltwiss. Kai Behncke

Institut für Geoinformatik und Fernerkundung (IGF)
Universität Osnabrück
Kolpingstr. 7
49074 Osnabrück

Raum: 01/308