Partial labels in mapserver/mapfile

Thu Jan 18 09:26:50 EST 2007

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to label objects (in mapfile) from a shape-file, by using
> only part of an attribute, or may be manipulate the attribute?
>
> E.g:
> - Only the first two letters of av word
> - Round numbers (as labeling a numberfield with decimals in a dbf-file,
> would force decimals even if the current attribute has decimals or not)
>

> Thanks
> FrodeWJ

No, I believe your best bet is to write a script that adds a new column
to the shapefile and populates it with the value that you want to use
for labeling.

You can join multiple fields together, but I don't think you can take a
substring of a field.

You can write the script in mapscript. I don't have any examples handy,
but you should be able to pull some from the list archive or ask the list.

-Steve W.